Monday, October 02, 2006

The ? of Ob: Closure

The other day I expressed my difficulties in buying water to my teacher. Apparently, Cola can be considered water. At least that's what Tajiks do. It has something to do with that they call fruit juices "ob meva" so little by little the ob part has gotten a greater significance than the meva part. And then, well, Cola, that's just some Cola fruit with water, so that's water, too, right?

After 3 minutes of argueing I got my teacher to admit that Cola after all didn't have any fruit in it and thus didn't fall into the category of fruit juices that can duely be called ob. This is tricky business! If Cola had like 1 per cent of fruit in it, it could pass as ob!

So I guess that explains pretty much of why I get Cola when I ask for water (some people obviously think that Cola got particles of fruits in it). They also aren't used to people buying water, as it is readily available from the tap and they themselves rarely buy water.

Case closed.

No comments: